Dr Chew has a special interest in Hand and Microsurgery and is the only surgeon in BJIOS, to attain specialization in both Orthopaedic and Hand Surgery. His clinical interests include managing fractures of the distal radius and hand, wrist conditions, arthroscopy of the wrist and small joints of the hand, reconstruction for deformities of rheumatoid and degenerative arthritis including total joint replacement for the wrist and fingers, and microsurgical reconstruction of both upper and lower limbs including replantations, vascularised free flap and toe-to-hand transfers. His passion is in good patient care and he is interested in clinical research and has authored 26 articles in peer- reviewed journals and five book chapters in hand surgery.
He had been the Head of the Hand and Micro Surgery section (2008-2012) after helping to set it up and the Department of Hand Surgery (2007-2011) at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He went on to be a Senior Consultant on a part time basis serving patients with hand problems, and teaching and training students and junior staff, before going into private practice.
Dr Chew’s other appointment included President of the Singapore Society for Hand Surgery (2004-2006). He graduated from the National University of Singapore (NUS) before being awarded the Ministry of Health’s Health Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) scholarship to undergo advanced training in Hand and Microsurgery in the prestigious Christine M Kleinert Institute for Hand and Microsugery / Kleinert-Kutz Hand Care Center (USA).
6th October 2015
Research and Publications
- Percutaneous Trigger Release in Non-Triggering Digits: Infiltration of Normal Saline into Tendon Substance to Induce Triggering. Chew WY, Sreedharan S.J Hand Microsurg. 2015 Jun;7(1):93-5.
- Use of the Sole Flap to Convert an Above Knee Amputation to a Below Knee Amputation in Trauma. Johandi F, Tang Z, Sebastin SJ, Chew WY.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2015 May;44(5):191-3. No abstract available.
- Reconstruction of Extensive Soft-Tissue Defects with Concomitant Bone Defects in the Lower Extremity with the Latissimus Dorsi-Serratus Anterior-Rib Free Flap.Sia WT, Xu GG, Puhaindran ME, Tan BK, Cheng MH, Chew WY. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2015 Jul;31(6):407-13.
- Triquetral fracture with associated pisiform subluxation.Gan LP, Satkunanantham M, Sreedharan S, Chew WY.Singapore Med J. 2015 Mar;56(3):e39-41.
- Posterior interosseous artery flap: our experience and review of modifications done. Fong PL, Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2014;19(2):181-7.
- Comparison between cast immobilization versus volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures in active elderly patients, the Asian perspective. Chan YH, Foo TL, Yeo CJ, Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2014;19(1):19-23.
- Mechanical failure of the distal radius volar locking plate. Foo TL, Gan AW, Soh T, Chew WY.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2013 Dec;21(3):332-6.
- Beware! The volar ulnar fragment in a comminuted Bartons fracture. Tan KG, Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2013;18(3):331-6.
- Safe and easy method to preserve fingertip contour in VY-plasty. Foo TL, Wan KH, Chew WY. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2012 Jun;16(2):95-7.
- Use of the fix and flap approach to complex open elbow injury: the role of the free anterolateral thigh flap. Chui CH, Wong CH, Chew WY, Low MH, Tan BK. Arch Plast Surg. 2012 Mar;39(2):130-6. doi: 10.5999/aps.2012.39.2.130. Epub 2012 Mar 14.
- Volar plating for unstable proximal interphalangeal joint dorsal fracture-dislocations. Cheah AE, Tan DM, Chong AK, Chew WY. J Hand Surg Am. 2012 Jan;37(1):28-33. Epub 2011 Oct 22.
- Treatment of scaphoid non-union with 1,2 intercompartmental supraretinacular artery (1,2 ICSRA) vascularised graft. Ong HS, Tan G,Chew WY. Singapore Med J. 2011 Sep;52(9):658-61.
- Improving the reliability of the distally based posterior tibial artery adipofascial flap with the great saphenous venoneural network. Foo TL, Chew WY, Tan BK. Ann Plast Surg. 2011 Sep;67(3):288-93.
- Articularly placed interfragmentary screw fixation of difficult condylar fractures of the hand. Tan JS, Foo AT, Chew WC,Teoh LC. J Hand Surg Am. 2011 Apr;36(4):604-9.
- Severe isolated trapezoid fracture: a case report. Kam ML, Sreedharan S, Teoh LC,Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2011;16(2):185-7.
- Neuroma of the radial digital nerve of the middle finger following trigger release. Sreedharan S, Teoh LC, Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2011;16(1):95-7.
- Corrective osteotomy in forearm fracture malunion improves functional outcome in adults. Chia DS, Lim YJ,Chew WY. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2011 Feb;36(2):102-6. Epub 2010 Aug 23.
- Volar plate and screw fixation for dorsal fracture-dislocation of the proximal interphalangeal joint: case report. Chew WY, Cheah AE. J Hand Surg Am. 2010 Jun;35(6):928-30. Epub 2010 Apr 15.
- Atypical glomus tumour of the wrist: a case report. Chim H, Lahiri A,Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2009;14(2-3):121-3.
- Prospective randomised study of intra-articular fractures of the distal radius: comparison between external fixation and plate fixation. Xu GG, Chan SP, Puhaindran ME,Chew WY. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2009 Jul;38(7):600-6.
- Re: isolated fifth carpometacarpal joint volar dislocation with ulnar neuropathy. Sreedharan S, Chew WY. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008 Apr;33(2):219-20. No abstract available.
- Comparison of external and percutaneous pin fixation with plate fixation for intra-articular distal radial fractures. A randomized study. Leung F, Tu YK,Chew WY, Chow SP. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Jan;90(1):16-22.
- Intra-articular loop wire fixation allows joint preservation and early motion in replantation around the proximal interphalangeal joint. Chew WY, Chong AK. Hand Surg. 2005;10(2-3):187-91.
- Necrotizing fasciitis caused by Vibrio vulnificus: a review of four cases in a Singapore tertiary hospital. H’ng MW,Chew WY, Tan BK. J Trauma. 2005 Aug;59(2):482-5. No abstract available.
- Avascular necrosis of the triquetrum: a case report. Por YC,Chew WY, Tsou IY. Hand Surg. 2005 Jul;10(1):91-4.
- A biomechanical comparison of four extensor tendon repair techniques in zone IV. Woo SH, Tsai TM, Kleinert HE,Chew WY, Voor MJ. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 May;115(6):1674-81; discussion 1682-3.
- Flap reconstruction following high pressure injection injuries of the hand: a report of three cases. Puhaindran ME, Chong AK,Chew WY. Hand Surg. 2004 Dec;9(2):211-9.
- An isolated ring finger metacarpal shaft fracture?–beware an associated little finger carpometacarpal joint dislocation. Chong AK,Chew WY. J Hand Surg Br. 2004 Dec;29(6):629-31.
- Salvage of the massively traumatized lower extremity with sequential free flaps. Tham C, Tan BK, Hong SW, Chew WY, Low CK, Tan KC. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004 May;113(6):1746-50. No abstract available.
- Continuous local anaesthesia for post-operative mobilization of injured digits. Peng YP, Seow C, Low CK,Chew WY, Pho RW. J Hand Surg Br. 2003 Dec;28(6):513-9.
- Extraarticular pigmented villonodular synovitis of the distal forearm: a case report. Por YC,Chew WY, Low CK. Singapore Med J. 2003 Mar;44(3):152-4.
- Results of Sauve-kapandji procedure. Low CK,Chew WY. Singapore Med J. 2002 Mar;43(3):135-7.
- Results of distal radial fractures treated by intra-focal pin fixation. Low CK, Liau KH,Chew WY. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2001 Nov;30(6):573-6.
- Major upper limb replantation. Chew WY, Tsai TM. Hand Clin. 2001 Aug;17(3):395-410, viii. Review.
- Factors affecting healing of below knee amputation. Low CK,Chew WY, Howe TS, Tan SK. Singapore Med J. 1996 Aug;37(4):392-3.
- Long-term results of free vascularized fibular graft. A clinical and radiographic evaluation. Chew WY, Low CK, Tan SK. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995 Feb;(311):258-61.
- Anesthesia for Hand Surgery. Winston Chew and Victor Chee, Chapter Hand and Upper Extremity Reconstruction © 2009, Saunders-Elsevier. Editor: Kevin C Chung
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Phalangeal Unicondylar Fractures. Winston YC Chew and Lam-Chuan Teoh. Page 455-460, Hand and Wrist Surgery © 2012, Elsevier Saunders. Editor: Kevin C Chung.
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Phalangeal Shaft Spiral or Long Oblique Fractures. Winston YC Chew and Lam-Chuan Teoh. Page 461-466, Hand and Wrist Surgery © 2012, Elsevier Saunders. Editor: Kevin C Chung.
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Phalangeal Shaft Comminuted Fractures. Winston YC Chew and Lam-Chuan Teoh. Page 467-476, Hand and Wrist Surgery © 2012, Elsevier Saunders. Editor: Kevin C Chung.
- Arthrodesis of Finger and Thumb Interphalangeal and Metacarpophalangeal Joints. Winston YC Chew and Lam-Chuan Teoh. Page 465-475, Hand and Wrist Surgery © 2012, Elsevier Saunders. Editor: Kevin C Chung.