Dr Chong Keen Wai
Trauma, Foot and Ankle
MBBS, MMed(Orth), MRCS(Edin), FRCS(Edin)(Orth)
Dr Chong Keen Wai is an Orthopaedic Surgeon who has a Masters in Orthopaedic Surgery from the National University of Singapore, and is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in the specialty of Trauma and Orthopaedics. He underwent further subspecialty training in Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery as well as Foot and Ankle Surgery in Germany having received a government grant to do so.
The majority of Dr Chong’s work is in the correction of lower extremity and foot / ankle deformities. This includes ankle arthroplasty and low tibial osteotomy for osteoarthritis. He also performs minimally invasive foot and ankle surgery such as tendon endoscopic surgery (tendinoscopy) and “small joint” arthroscopy. He has published many papers highlighting his techniques and clinical results especially in subtalar joint arthroscopy (lower ankle joint arthroscopy). Such techniques are ideal for managing sports injuries of the foot and ankle. Dr Chong was tournament doctor for the 2014 WTA Finals tennis tournament in Singapore where the top ranked female players competed.
Dr Chong is an active teacher in AOTrauma (Association for Osteosynthesis), which is a non profit organization with more than 50 years history whose main focus is on educating surgeons worldwide in the management of fractures and injuries. For his contributions, he has been awarded the “Gold membership” status. He also served as Chairperson of AOTrauma Singapore from 2012-2015.
Speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese
2019 – President, Asia Pacific Society for Foot Ankle Surgeons
2019 – Chairperson, Orthopaedic Foot Ankle Society Singapore
2019 – Member of Association for Osteosynthesis, Foot Ankle Educational Task Force
2013 – Chairman, Medical Alumni Association & AO Trauma (Singapore)
2011 – Visiting Consultant, Singapore General Hospital
2010 – Adj Assistant Professor, DUKE -NUS Graduate Medical School
- Restoring Sesamoid Position in Scarf Osteotomy: A Learning Curve
Seng C, Chunyin Ho D, Chong KW, J Foot Ankle Surg., 2015 Aug 25.
- Calcaneoplasty and reattachment of the Achilles tendon for insertional tendinopathy
Heng An Lin, Keen Wai Chong, William Yeo, Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2014
- Open technique is more effective than percutaneous technique for TOPAZ radiofrequency coblation for plantar fasciitis.
Kae Sian Tay, Yung Chuan Sean Ng, Inderjeet Rikhraj Singh, Keen Wai Chong, Published online at Foot and Ankle Surgery, on 27 July 2012.
- Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis: An Asian Tertiary Centre’s Experience.
Tan YB, Ng YCS, Chong KW, IS Rikhraj, Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, In press
- Simple Two-Portal Technique for Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession: Clinical Tip.
Ewe Juan Yeap, MS(Ortho); Amir Shamsul Shamsm MBBS(IIUM); Keen Wai Chong FRCS(Orth); Andrew K, Sands, MD; Foot and & Ankle International 2011 by the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- Induced membranes–a staged technique of bone-grafting for segmental bone loss: surgical technique.
Chong KW, Woon CY, Wong MK. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Mar;93 Suppl 1:85-91
- Subtalar Arthroscopy and Flurosocopy in Percutaneous Fixation of Intra-Articular Calcaneal Fractures: The Best of Both Worlds.
Woon CY, Chong KW, Yeo W, Eng-Meng Yeo N, Wong MK. J Trauma. 2011 Mar 9
- Radiofrequency microtenotomy for the treatment of plantar fasciitis shows good early results.
Sean NY, Singh I, Chong KW. Foot Ankle Surg. 2010 Dec;16(4):174-7. Epub 2009 Nov 25
- A case of screw fixation of femur neck fracture with the use of computer navigation in a woman with osteogenesis imperfecta.
Chung FC, Chong KW., Koon WM. J Trauma. 2008 Nov;65(5):1168-70
- Subtalar arthroscopy using a 2.4-mm zero-degree arthroscope: indication, technical experience, and results.
Siddiqui MA, Chong KW, Yeo W, Rao MS, Rikhraj IS. Foot Ankle Spec. 2010 Aug;3(4):167-71. Epub 2010 Jun 7
- Distally pedicled peroneus brevis muscle flap: a versatile lower leg and foot flap.
Ng YH, Chong KW, Tan GM, Rao M. Singapore Med J. 2010 Apr;51(4):339-42
- Chronic Achilles tendon rupture treated with two turndown flaps and flexor hallucis longus augmentation – two-year clinical outcome.
Tay D, Lin HA, Tan BS, Chong KW, Rikhraj IS. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2010 Jan;39(1):58-60
- Radiofrequency coblation for chronic foot and ankle tendinosis.
Yeap EJ, Chong KW, Yeo W, Rikhraj IS. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2009 Dec;17(3):325-30
- Induced membranes–a staged technique of bone-grafting for segmental bone loss: a report of two cases and a literature review.
Woon CY, Chong KW, Wong MK. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Jan;92(1):196-201
- Stress fracture of the distal tibia secondary to severe knee osteoarthritis: a case report.
Tey IK, Chong KW, Singh I. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2006 Aug;14(2):212-5
- The use of computer navigation in performing minimally invasive surgery for intertrochanteric hip fractures–The experience in Singapore.
Chong KW, Wong MK, Rikhraj IS, Howe TS. Injury. 2006 Aug;37(8):755-62
- Piriformis pyomyositis: a rare cause of sciatica.
Chong KW, Tay BK. Singapore Med J. 2004 May;45(5):229-31
- Management of intraparotid facial nerve schwannomas.
Chong KW, Chung YF, Khoo ML, Lim DT, Hong GS, Soo KC. Aust N Z J Surg. 2000 Oct;70(10):732-4
- Clinics in diagnostic imaging (38). Post-ESWL perinephric haematoma.
Chong KW, Yip SK, Lo RH, Li MK, Foo KT. Singapore Med J. 1999 Jun;40(6):430-3